Laboratory Assistant (maternity leave cover), Physics Department: School of Science and Technology
Key and functional tasks of the function
Primary objectives of the function are as follows:
– To help in conducting laboratory session of the School;
– To keep and maintain laboratory equipment in good condition;
– To prepare plans of practical and laboratory classes in accordance with the instructions of the
faculty members, and the available equipment and reagents;
– To ensure following of the safety rules in laboratories;
– To assist in design and setting up of the laboratories
Key and functional tasks of the position
– To work closely with Teaching Assistants and Faculty members of the School in preparation for
– To conduct pilot tests for the practical exercises;
– To brief on the safe and proper use of equipment;
– To analyze the need for laboratory equipment, consumables, reagents, on the basis of costs;
– To process applications for purchasing the laboratory equipment, consumables and reagents.
– To maintain adequate inventory;
– To train Teaching Assistants assigned to each laboratory session and course;
– To implement the safety plan of the School and the University, including maintenance of records;
– To assist in course related activities as assigned by Department Head/Laboratory coordinator.
Specialist or bachelor’s degree in at least one of the following areas:
– Physics, Instrumentation, Electronics or closely related field of Science or Engineering
Master degree is a plus
Required professional experience
At least 1 year experience of working with laboratory equipment. Excellent knowledge of safety
basics during the work on laboratory equipment.
Professional competence and personal qualities
– Ability to work effectively on an individual basis and as a member in international team;
– Experience of working with different cultures;
– Interpersonal and organizational skills.
– Eager to work with students.
Proficiency in languages
Fluency in English, knowledge of Russian and Kazakh languages is a plus.
Computer Literacy: A highly trained PC user.