Post Title: Dean of the School of Mining and Geosciences
Duty Station: Astana, Kazakhstan
Reports to: Provost of Nazarbayev University
Responsible for: All Nazarbayev University School of Mining and Geosciences staff, with the Associate Dean, Executive Director as direct reports.
Main Purpose of the Role
The Dean is the principal officer of the School of Mining and Geosciences and is responsible for the strategic leadership and executive management of the School.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To prepare and implement the School of Mining and Geosciences Strategic Plan, in consultation with the university.
- To chair the School Management Committee.
- To participate in the strategic management of the University as a member of any collective senior management for established by the University for that purpose and to represent the School on relevant University committees.
- To liaise with the university’s lead international partner university/universities.
- To foster collaboration between the School of Mining and Geosciences and the other Schools and Research Centres of the university.
- To promote the School to external audiences and to develop and maintain a network of professional relationships with universities in Kazakhstan, international universities, government, business and industry.
- To ensure that in all of its activities, the School operates at all times in accordance with the University’s policies, regulations and procedures.
- To promote a strong health and safety culture within the School.
- To oversee and direct the annual budget-setting process for the School of Mining and Geosciences with the assistance of the Executive Director of the School.
- To be responsible for the overall financial health of the School and the achievement of agreed budgetary and management performance targets.
- To ensure that all School committees are constituted and operate regularly at appropriate times during the academic year.
- To co-ordinate the School’s views on the University’s provision of learning resources, including library, computing, information technology provision, and other matters relating to educational and administrative support, and to advance those views to the appropriate University bodies and officer(s).
- To develop and oversee the delivery of the School’s staff recruitment plan.
- To take part in the recruitment of the School of Mining and Geosciences academic and senior staff.
- To co-ordinate, mentor, develop and appraise direct reports.
- To approve the filling of vacancies and staffing matters within the School and to decide upon requests for promotion.
- To oversee arrangements for the induction and development of the School’s academic staff.
- To approve the School of Mining and Geosciences research strategy, in consultation with the University.
- To foster a culture of research across the School of Mining and Geosciences.
- To support the generation of income to support the School’s research programme.
- To consider and approve applications for support from the University’s Research funding opportunities.
- To liaise with the Senior Faculty on all research matters affecting the School.
- To develop his/her own research interests within the framework of the School’s research strategy.
- To attend and present at national and international conferences, seminars and other events for the purpose of promoting his/her own research interests and/or those of the School of Mining and Geosciences and Nazarbayev University.
Teaching and Professional Development
- To approve the School’s teaching and learning strategy, in consultation with the University and to encourage research integrated teaching throughout the School.
- To oversee teaching and learning and academic quality assurance across the School.
- To liaise with the Senior Faculty on all educational matters affecting the School.
- To agree student recruitment targets for the School, in consultation with the university.
- To promote collaborative teaching with the other schools of the University.
- To oversee examination matters at School level and to chair the School of Mining and Geosciences Board of Examiners or other similar body.
- To undertake external professional and educational activities and duties consonant with the position.
Doctorate or equivalent higher academic degree in a relevant discipline area
A strong record of teaching and learning in a relevant discipline area
Higher education teaching qualification
Recognised research profile in a relevant discipline area
Experience of strategic planning and delivery against targets
Experience of university admissions processes
Experience of university quality assurance mechanisms
Understanding of international accreditation systems.
Experience of developing a professional network across universities, industry, business and government
Experience of working internationally
Strong leadership and motivational skills
Effective negotiation skills
Ability to develop effective working relationships with a wide spectrum of people
Ability to teach undergraduate and postgraduate courses in a relevant discipline area
Ability to supervise PhD students and other researchers in a relevant discipline area
Excellent discipline-specific and office IT skills
Strong knowledge of teaching technologies
Ability to speak, read, understand and write English to a high standard
Ability to speak, read and understand Russian
Commitment to high-quality teaching and research and to fostering a positive learning environment
Ability to work as part of a team
Commitment to equal opportunities
Diplomacy and tact, combined with political awareness
Personal integrity and respect for issues of confidentially
Sensitivity to cultural difference
Ability to work to exacting deadlines