Assistant Professor, Professor at School of Humanities & Social Sciences (SHSS) at Nazarbayev University
The Department of Political Science and International Relations in the School of Humanities & Social Sciences (SHSS) at Nazarbayev University invites applications for multiple positions at various academic ranks. The Political Science and International Relations Department is in the process of expanding to serve the wider university community, and we are looking for candidates who want to work with motivated students and contribute to our developing undergraduate and graduate programs. Successful candidates will be expected to teach introductory courses as well as upper level courses in our undergraduate program and graduate courses in our Master’s program.
- PhD degree in Political Science (or ABD with designated date of completion) from an accredited and recognized Western university is required;
- Teaching experience at university level;
- An active research agenda (previous publications in peer-reviewed journals will be considered as a plus);
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills;
- An appreciation for flexibility in a developing context;
- An interest in continuing professional development;
Preference will be given to applicants with a specialty in:
– International Relations and Quantitative Methods (irrespective of IR subfield) with the ability to specifically teach graduate-level courses in statistical analysis/Quantitative Methods.
– Formal Models and/or Game Theory
– Political Theory with a second field of expertise in American Politics
– Comparative Politics with a field of specialization that would complement, but not duplicate, the Department’s current strengths in Eurasia studies and the politics of post-Soviet region
This is a three-year appointment with the possibility of renewal.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and three letters of reference including at least one from someone who can address the candidate’s teaching abilities. Questions related to the position, the university, or living and working in Astana should be directed to Dr. Mwita Chacha (email@example.com). Please send all application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
We anticipate hiring candidates to begin in August 2018. Applications will be reviewed until positions are filled. Complete applications received by December 1st will receive fullest consideration. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Nazarbayev University was launched in 2010 as a premier national and regional university, partnering with some of the most internationally recognized names in Higher Education. The strategic partner of the SHSS is the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Admission to NU is highly competitive, and the student body is selected from the top high schools throughout the country and region. Most students participate in a foundation year program, and thus enter the School of Humanities and Social Sciences with extensive English language training and academic preparation. SHSS programs emphasize student-oriented learning, with small class sizes and a low student-to-faculty ratio of about 12:1. All classes are taught in English.
Nazarbayev University offers an attractive benefits package, including:
- highly competitive compensation;
- housing based on family size and rank;
- relocation allowance;
- air tickets to home country, twice per year;
- no-cost medical insurance, with global coverage;
- educational allowance for children.