A group of Tsinghua University students participated in a Global Culture Immersion Program hosted by Nazarbayev University
Nazarbayev University (NU) welcomed a group of 19 students and 2 faculty members from Tsinghua University (PRC) for the Global Culture Immersion Program on July 22, 2019.
An intensive two-week academic (2 ECTS credit) program aimed to expose the participants to the history and culture of Kazakhstan, students learned about social and political development and covered the following topics during the classes:
- Central Asia is the crossroad of Eurasian civilizations: The emergence and formation of the first Kazakh state;
- Kazakhstan under Russian Empire: Colonial administration;
- Kazakhstan under Stalin’s ruling: Collectivization, deportation, repressions and WWII;
- Kazakhstan in the post-WWII period: the Soviet industrialization program;
- Entering the 21 century: Collapse of the Soviet Union and independent Kazakhstan;
- The culture, ethnic diversity, religious tolerance and social cohesion in Kazakhstan;
- Political development and system;
- Social development, gender roles, family structure and a new generation;
- One Belt, One Road: Kazakhstan and China.
Students have also visited touristic attractions in Nur-Sultan City and Burabay National Park and participated in various activities organized by NU volunteers.
“Kazakhstan is not like what I once imagined. It is a modern, open and friendly country with profound history and culture.”
“Many thanks to the teachers and volunteers for their enthusiastic preparation for our program. I have spent a great time and learnt a lot. Your hospitality made us feel like home.”
“City tours and activities are fantastic, because they help me to learn history and culture in a relaxing way.”
“The program is diverse, inclusive, and all-rounded. The most enjoyable part is communication with volunteers as it gives us an opportunity for an in-depth sharing of opinions.”
* Nazarbayev University and Tsinghua University signed a Memorandum of Understanding on May 19, 2017.