On October 26, 2019, Nazarbayev University hosted the sixth annual short film competition “Annual Student Film Festival 2019”. The event was organized by the “Youth Parliament – Astana” student club of Nazarbayev University. At the event, awards were presented for the winners in eight nomination categories. Six young and talented directors competed to win “The Best Film”, the main award of the night.
The competition was held in two stages. During the first qualifying stage, the members of the Youth Parliament reviewed all the drafts of the short films they received. Based on the competition’s criteria, they then selected six works to forward as finalists. In the second stage, the films were shown at Nazarbayev University Cinema, where the jury then selected the winners in seven nominations. On the day of the film screening, viewers chose the winner in the eighth category “Audience Sympathy Award” by online voting.
– The “Annual Student Film Festival” is a platform where Nazarbayev University students can show their creative potential, express their opinions on current topics and acute social problems through their works. In addition, students can get an objective and professional assessment of Kazakhstani filmmakers, – said Dana Sardarbek, President of the Youth Parliament.
This year’s jury consisted of:
Alexandra Porshneva – film critic, member of the Association of Film Critics of Kazakhstan and member of FIPRESCI
Medet Shayakhmetov – a film director
Arnai Ormash – a photographer and producer
Niyaz Abdigapar – a producer, actor, and director
Ayan Isin – a cartoonist
Yenlik Yegeubaeva – a film critic, author of brod.kz and oner.kz websites, “Evening Astana” newspaper, “Shabyt” magazine, organizer of international student film festivals and forums
So, the list of winners of the VI short film competition “Annual Student Film Festival 2019”:
- Audience Sympathies Award – “Drop it” (Alibi Aitenov and Myrzakhan Zhumakhan)
- The Best actor – Askar Zhanaliyev, “Bailyq”
- The Best actress is Malika Vasilova, “Mistake”
- The Best montage is “Are you ready?”
- The Best cameraman’s work is Alibi Aitenov, “Drop it”
- The Best directing work – Myrzakhan Zhumakhan, “Drop it”
- The Best scenario is Askar Zhanaliyev, “Bailyq”
- The Best film – “Drop it” (Alibi Aitenov and Myrzakhan Zhumakhan)