Yanwei Wang is an associate professor at the Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering, School of Engineering, Nazarbayev University in Nur-Sultan city, Kazakhstan. He obtained his B.Eng. (2003) in Chemical Engineering from Zhejiang University in China, with one-year (2002.10-2003.8) of exchange study at the University of Fukui, supported by a scholarship from the Association of International Exchange, Japan (AIEJ). Then he went to Denmark and obtained his M.Sc. (2005) in Polymer Engineering and Ph.D. (2009) in Polymer Science from the Technical University of Denmark (DTU), supported by scholarships from the Danish government, Chempilots A/S, and DTU. After postdoctoral research work at the Danish Polymer Center (2008.9-2010.12) of DTU-Chemical Engineering and at the Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science (2011.1-2011.8) of the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, he worked at Soochow University in Suzhou, China, as associate professor (2011.9-2016.8) in polymer science and engineering, and at the State Key Laboratory of High Performance Civil Engineering Materials, Jiangsu Sobute New Materials Co., Ltd., as senior research engineer (2016.9-2019.2). He returned to academia after 2.5 years of R&D experience in the chemical-admixture industry.
Yanwei Wang’s recent research interests include polymer theory and characterization, concrete admixtures, polymers for Enhanced Oil Recovery, and computational materials science. He has been the PI of several research projects, including those funded by the Danish Council for Independent Research, the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), and the State Key Laboratory of High-Performance Civil Engineering Materials. He has co-authored >40 technical papers in academic journals, and his work on the polymer physics of concrete Superplasticizers has been awarded the Basic Research Award on the Science and Technology of Building Materials from China Building Material Federation and the Chinese Ceramic Society in 2018.
Yanwei Wang is a member of the IUPAC – Subcommittee on Structure and Properties of Commercial Polymers, a member of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), and he has been vice president of the Suzhou Alumni Association of Zhejiang University since 2017.
Preparing Today’s Students for Tomorrow’s Opportunities
If you are an undergraduate student wanting to discover collaborative research opportunities with Yanwei Wang, feel free to email him with a short description of your background and interests in scientific research.
Nazarbayev University (NU) is a research university with growing international renown combining education, research, and innovation on a modern state-of-the-art 21-st century campus. The NU School of Engineering aims to be the leading engineering school in Kazakhstan and Central Asia. Our goal is to prepare our graduates to meet the growing demand for professional practitioners in the fields of chemical, mechanical, civil and electronic engineering. Apply today if you want to become a graduate student of NU School of Engineering!
International candidates are welcome to apply to study at Nazarbayev University. There are merit-based Abay Kunanbayev scholarships for top international candidates recommended by the Admissions Committee of each School. For more information on how to apply, please contact NU INTERNATIONAL ADMISSIONS.
Recent Research Interests
- Yanwei Wang*, Xin Shu, Yong Yang, Qianping Ran, Jiaping Liu. Polymer Physics and PCE superplasticizers revisited. SP-329: Superplasticizers and Other Chemical Admixtures in Concrete Proceedings Twelfth International Conference, Beijing, China, 2018, pp. 305-318.
- Yanwei Wang*, Xin Shu, Jiaping Liu, Qianping Ran*. Conformational properties and entropic barrier in the "head-on" adsorption of a single polymer chain towards a flat surface. Soft Matter, 2018, 14, 2077-2083.
- Yanwei Wang, Hongxia Zhao, Xin Shu, Yong Yang, Qianping Ran*. Radius of Gyration of Comb-shaped Copolymers by the Wormlike Chain Model: Theory and Its Applications to MPEG-type Polycarboxylate-type Superplasticizers. Acta Polymeric Sinica (高分子学报), 2017, (11), 1816-1831.
- Lijuan Zhu, Xiaoyan Wang, Jianfeng Li*, Yanwei Wang*. Radius of Gyration, Mean Span, and Geometric Shrinking Factors of Bridged Polycyclic Ring Polymers. Macromolecular Theory and Simulations 2016, 25, 482–496.
- Xiaoyan Wang, Meng Tang, Yanwei Wang*. Equilibrium Distribution of Semiflexible Polymer Chains between Macroscopic Dilute Solution Phase and Small Voids of Cylindrical Shape. Macromolecular Theory and Simulations 2015, 24, 490–499.
- Douglas R Tree, Yanwei Wang*, Kevin D Dorfman*. Modeling the relaxation time of DNA confined in a nanochannel. Biomicrofluidics 2013, 7, 054118.
- Yanwei Wang, Douglas R Tree, Kevin D Dorfman*. Simulation of DNA extension in nanochannels. Macromolecules 2011, 44, 6594-6604.
- Yanwei Wang*, Iwao Teraoka, Flemming Y Hansen, Günther H Peters, Ole Hassager. Mean span dimensions of ideal polymer chains containing branches and rings. Macromolecules 2011, 44, 403-412.
- Yanwei Wang*, Iwao Teraoka, Flemming Y Hansen, Günther H Peters, Ole Hassager. A theoretical study of the separation principle in size exclusion chromatography. Macromolecules 2010, 43, 1651-1659.
- Yanwei Wang*, Flemming Y Hansen, Günther H Peters, Ole Hassager. Equilibrium partitioning of macromolecules in confining geometries: Improved universality with a new molecular size parameter. J. Chem. Phys. 2008, 128, 124904.