Dr. Milovan Fustic
- PhD Petroleum Geology (2008), University of Calgary, Canada
- Diploma in Geology (MSc equivalent, 1993), University of Belgrade, Serbia
- 2019 to date: Associate Professor of Geology, School of Mining and Geosciences, Nazarbayev University, Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan
- 2013 to date: Adjunct Professor, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
- 2018 – 2019: Senior Petroleum Geologist, Harvest Corporation / Korean National Oil Company, Calgary, CANADA
- 2016 – 2018: Petroleum System Analyst / Petroleum Resources Assessment, Geological Survey of Canada (Natural Resources Canada)
- 2015 – 2016: Research Fellow, University of Calgary, Canada
- 2015 – 2015: Principal Exploration Geologist – Unconventional, Statoil
- 2014 – 2015: Principal Exploration Geologist – Conventional Offshore, Statoil
- 2011-2014: Principal Research Geologist – Heavy Oil Technology Centre, Statoil
- 2006 – 2011: Staff Geologist, Nexen Inc. Calgary, Canada
- 2004 – 2006: Petroleum Geologist, Shell, Calgary, Canada
- 2000 – 2004: Geologist, Shell, Fort McMurray, Canada
- 1997 – 2000: Geologist, TIH Consulting, Calgary, Canada
- 1994 – 1997: Mine Geologist, Magnochrom, Uzice, Serbia
- 1993 – 1994: Geologist, Naftagas (State Oil Company), Serbia
- Excellence in Science Award (team award) by Natural Resources Canada Lands and Mineral Sector, 2019
- The Best Oral Presentation, GeoConvention 2016, selected out from 360 presented talks: A Virtual McMurray Formation Outcrop Tour – An Evolving Tool for Characterizing Oil Sands Reservoirs and Creating Realistic Geomodels
- CSPG Distinguished Lecturer – Eastern Canada Lecture Tour, 2017
- CSPG Medal of Merit awarded annually for the best paper published during the previous year on a subject related to the petroleum geology of Canada, 2012
- CSPG Medal of Merit – Honorable Mention, 2010
- Advancing petroleum exploration and development concepts based on 5G approach: Geology, Geophysics (qualitative), Geochemistry, Geomodeling, and Geomicrobiology.
- Clastic Sedimentology (modern, outcrop, and subsurface)
- Fustic, M., R. Strobl, M. Fowler, B. Jablonski, and A.W. Martinius, 2019, Impact of Reservoir Heterogeneity on Oil Migration and the Origin of Oil-Water Contacts: McMurray Formation Type Section, Alberta, Canada, Marine and Petroleum Geology. p. 216-230.
- Fustic, M., R. Strobl, M. Ghinassi, and Zhang S., Unsuccessful cut offs – origin and partial preservation of enigmatic channels encased within a large-scale point bar deposit with Implications to Reservoir Developments, The McMurray Formation Type Section, Alberta, Canada, 2018, In, Fluvial Meanders and Their Sedimentary Products in the Rock Record (IAS SP 48), Eds. Massimiliano Ghinassi, Luca Colombera, Nigel Mountney and Arnold Jan H. Reesink; International Association of Sedimentologists, John Wiley & Sons Ltd.; p. 321-347.
- Fustic M., Atkins, E., Hanna M., and Lister C., 2018, Qualitative Assessment of Petroleum Potential South-Central Arctic Archipelago, Geological Survey of Canada Open File Report, p-36.
- Hein F., Fustic M., P.Hackley, W. A., Ambrose, J.S., Mead, T.Bata, S. Schamel, R.Ibatulin, B. Cardott, J.C., Pashin, U. Hammes, and D. Rokosh, 2018, Unconventional Energy Resources: 2017 Review, Natural Resources Research, DOI: 10.1007/s11053-018-9432-1
- Ferguson, R., King, H.M., Kublik, K., Rohr, K.M.M., Kung, L., Lister, C.J., Fustic, M., Hayward, N., Brent, T.A., Jassim, Y., 2018. Petroleum, mineral, and other resource potential in the offshore Pacific, British Columbia, Canada; Geological Survey of Canada, Open File 8390, 82 p. https://doi.org/10.4095/308395
- Martinius, W.A., M. Fustic, D.L. Garner, B.V.J. Jablonski, R.S. Strobl, J.A. MacEachern, S.E. Dashtgard, Reservoir characterization and multiscale heterogeneity modelling of inclined heterolithic strata formed by point bar rotation and relocation (McMurray Formation, Corner, Alberta), Marine and Petroleum Geology. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2017.02.003
- Hubert, C., and M. Fustic, 2017, Microbialy Influenced Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage (Mi-SAGD), application number WO 2017049404 A1. (http://www.google.com/patents/WO2017049404A1?cl=en ).
- Atkins E, Fustic M., Hanna M., and Lister C., 2017, Qualitative Assessment of Petroleum Potential in Lancaster Sound Region, Geological Survey of Canada Open File Report 8297, p. 22. https://doi.org/10.4095/305321
- Ghinassi,M., A. Ielpi, M. Aldinucci, and M. Fustic, 2016, Downstream-migrating fluvial point bars in the rock record, Sedimentary Geology, p. 66-96, doi:10.1016/j.sedgeo.2016.01.005
- Martinius, W. A., B.J.V. Jablonski,M. Fustic, R. Strobl, and J. H. Van der Berg, 2015, Fluvial to tidal transition zone facies in the McMurray Formation (Christina River, Alberta, Canada), with emphasis on the reflection of flow intensity in bottomset architecture, In. Developments in Sedimentology, Fluvial-Tidal Sedimentology, Eds. Philip J. Ashworth, James L. Best, Daniel R. Parsons, Elsevier, p. 445-480. doi:10.1016/B978-0-444-63529-7.00019-5
- Fustic, M., R. Strobl, B. Jablonski, Go Take a Hike – MacKay River Gauging Station near Ft. MacKay, AB, 2014, Reservoir, p. 25-27.
- Fustic, M., B. Bennett, H. Huang, T. Oldenburg, S.R. Hubbard, and S. Larter, 2013, Impact of oil-water contacts, reservoir (dis)continuity, and reservoir characteristics on spatial distribution of water, gas, and high-water – low-bitumen saturated zones and variability of bitumen properties in Athabasca oil sands deposits, In. “Heavy Oil/Bitumen Petroleum Systems in Alberta & Beyond”, Eds. F. J. Hein, J. Sutter, D. A. Leckie, and S. Larter, AAPG Memoir, p. 163-205.
- Fustic, M., D. Cadiou, D. Thurston, A. Al-Dliwe, and D.A. Leckie, 2013, Reservoir modeling by constraining stochastic simulation to deterministically interpreted three-dimensional geobodies: Case study from Lower Cretaceous McMurray Formation, Long Lake steam-assisted gravity drainage project, Northeast Alberta, Canada, in F. J. Hein, D. Leckie, S. Larter, and J. R. Suter, eds., Heavy oil and oil sand petroleum systems in Alberta and beyond: AAPG Studies in Geology 64, p. 565 – 604
- Fustic, M., B. Bennett, H. Huang, and S. Larter, 2012, Differential entrapment of charged oil – New insights on McMurray Formation oil trapping mechanisms, Marine and Petroleum Geology, v. 36, p. 50-69.
- Fustic, M., S.R. Hubbard, R. Spencer, D.G. Smith, D.A. Leckie, B. Bennett, and S. Larter, 2012, Recognition of down-valley translation in tidally influenced meandering fluvial deposits, Athabasca Oil Sands (Cretaceous), Alberta, Canada, Marine and Petroleum Geology, v. 29, p. 219-232.
- Fustic, M., B. Bennett, J.J. Adams, H. Huang, B. MacFarlene, D.A. Leckie and S. Larter, 2011, Bitumen and Heavy Oil Geochemistry: a tool for distinguishing barriers from baffles in oil sands reservoirs, Bulletin of Canadian Petroleum Geology, v. 5, p. 295-316.
- Hubert C., T.P.B. Oldenburg, M. Fustic, N.D. Gray, S.R. Larter, A.K. Rowan, R. Seshadri, A. Sherry, R. Swainsbury, G. Voordouw, J.K. Voordouw, and I.M. Head, 2011, Massive dominance of Epsilonproteobacteria in formation waters from heavily biodegraded Canadian oil sands, Journal of Microbiology, p. 387-404. (DOI: 10.1111/j.1462-2920.2011.02521.x).
- Hubbard, M. S., D.G. Smith, H. Nielsen, D.A. Leckie, M. Fustic, R.J. Spencer, and L. Bloom, 2011, Seismic Geomorphology and Sedimentology of a Tidally Influenced River Deposit, Lower Cretaceous Athabasca Oil Sands, Alberta, Canada, AAPG Bulletin, p. 1123-1145.
- Smith, G. D., S.M. Hubbard, J. Lavigne, D.A. Leckie, and M. Fustic, 2011, Stratigraphy of Counter Point Bar and Eddy Accretion Deposits in Low Energy Meander Belts of the Peace-Athabasca Delta (PAD), Northeast Alberta, Canada, SEPM Special Publication 97, 2011, p. 143-152.
- Oldenburg, T.B.P., S.R. Larter, J.J. Adams, K.A. Rowan, A. Brown, I.M. Head, A.A. Grigoriyan, G. Voordouw, M. Fustic, and C. Hubert, C., 2009, Methods for recovery of microorganisms and intact microbial polar lipids (IPLs) from oil-water mixtures –lab experiments and natural well-head fluids, Analytical Chemistry, v. 81, p 4130–4136.
- Smith, D.G., S.M. Hubbard, D.A. Leckie and M. Fustic, 2009, Counter Point Bars in Modern Meandering Rivers: Recognition of Morphology, Lithofacies and Reservoir Significance, Examples from Peace River, AB, Canada, Sedimentology, v. 56, p. 1655–1669.
- Fustic, M., L. Skulski, D. Vanhooren, P. Bessette, D. Hinks, L. Bellman, and D.A. Leckie, 2008, Data Integration Improves Geological Mapping and Reservoir Characterization of Oil Sands Reservoir, World Oil Magazine, vol. 229, No. 10, p. 117-122.
- Bennett, B., M. Fustic, P. Farrimond, H. Huang, and S.R. Larter, 2007, “25-Norhopanes: Formation during biodegradation of petroleum in the subsurface”, Organic Geochemistry, Organic Geochemistry, v. 37, p. 787-797.
- Fustic, M. 2007, Stratigraphic Dip Analysis – A Novel Application for Detailed Geological Modeling of Point Bars, and Predicting Bitumen Grade, McMurray Formation, Muskeg River Mine, Northeast Alberta, Natural Resources Research, Vol. 16, No. 1, p. 31-43.
Please visit my Research-Gate page: https://www.researchgate.net/