School of Medicine
The online registration period:
Regular admission: from February 17, 2020 until May 12, 2020 (inclusive). You need to make a payment to submit your application.
Applicants applying to the Program are expected to have:
1.Undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) and master’s
degree in a relevant discipline, to be determined by the Admissions Committee, or a terminal medical degree (MD or equivalent)
During the application period final year students may submit official current transcript for consideration.
2. A competitive CGPA in applicant’s Master’s (or equivalent) degree.
Minimum CGPA of 3.00 out of 4.00 or equivalent on applicant’s master degree;
3. High level of English proficiency
The absolute minimum requirement for English language proficiency test reports for admission to the Program is:
1) Overall IELTS test score of 6.5 (with sub-scores no less than 6.0) or the equivalent TOEFL score as posted on the ETS website;
2) Applicants, at the discretion of the Admissions Committee, can be exempted from submitting the language proficiency test report if:
– one of their earlier academic degrees was earned in a country with English as the language of official communication, academic instruction and daily life;
– an undergraduate and/or graduate degree was earned in a program which was officially taught in English.
4.Evidence of any professional and/or voluntary experiences related to laboratory work enabling them to perform scientific experiments with precision and accuracy; these could be a lab-based master thesis and/or voluntary internships in a national or international research laboratory which required mastery of laboratory skills;
5. Project proposal for the PhD of Biomedical Sciences (not more than 500 words);
6.Supporting letter from a faculty member of the School of Medicine written within the last 12 months confirming his/her willingness to supervise the applicant and describing a brief outline of the potential project;
7. 2 (two) references letters.
Application package checklist:
1. Complete Application form;
2. National ID (for the citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan) and passport (for international applicants);
3.Official document confirming name change (if applicable);
4. Degree diplomas (Bachelor’s and Master’s or equivalents) with transcripts;
During the application period final year students may upload official current transcript for consideration.
5. Official electronic score report of a valid IELTS/TOEFL certificate from the Test Administrator and its scanned copy (if applicable);
6. Document confirming English as the language of instruction (only for applicants who earned their degree in a program which was taught in English and request an exemption from submitting IELTS or TOEFL).
Applicants should provide a detailed certificate/reference from the university indicating the number and list of subjects completed in English.
7. Document confirming English as the language of instruction (only for applicants who earned their degree in a program which was taught in English and request an exemption from submitting IELTS or TOEFL). A candidate must indicate Nazarbayev University as a recipient when registering for the test. In case if the candidate passed the test earlier, he/she can contact the test center and indicate the Nazarbayev University as a recipient. Candidates can provide official electronic score report of valid Academic IELTS or TOEFL IBT certificates from Test Administrator and its scanned copy;
8. Project proposal (not more than 500 words);
9. Supporting letter from a faculty member of the School of Medicine written within the last 12 months;
10. Evidence of any professional and/or voluntary experiences that develop essential skills related to laboratory work;
11.Two confidential reference letters in English (or with notarized English translation) written within the last 12 months (to be provided by referees electronically or in hard copy);
12. 086у medical certificate (for Kazakhstani candidates) or a similar medical certificate with indication of general health (for international candidates);
13. Consent for Applicant’s/Student’s personal data processing.
Student graduating from the PhD Program at Nazarbayev University will be trained to independently conduct scientific research in the field of biomedical sciences in an academic or industrial environment. Biomedical scientists may use their knowledge of biomedical research to:
- Be part of a multidisciplinary team of scientists to solve problems of different illnesses
- Conduct cutting-edge research creating new knowledge and advances
- Translate discoveries and inventions from fundamental level to application in an industrial setting
- Manage and coordinate scientific projects (national and international)
- Teach at national and international universities
- Work in government advising policy makers about scientific matters related to health and disease development
All required documents indicated above (excluding letters of recommendation) must be uploaded by candidates to the Personal account before the indicated deadline.
All submitted documents shall be in English or with notarized English translation.
Submission of a complete application package does not guarantee admission to the Program.
Applicants recommended for admission must provide hard copies of all documents as requested by the Admissions Department within established period of time.
Applicants who obtained their degree diplomas/certificates from foreign education institutions must request their official transcripts to be sent directly to the University: 010000, Nur-Sultan, Kabanbay Batyr Ave., 53, Nazarbayev University, Admissions Department.
Standardized test reports shall be sent by the official test administrator directly to the University.
Nazarbayev University Institutional Codes: