Graduate School of Public Policy
PhD IN PUBLIC POLICY PROGRAM
Online registration is now closed.
Deadline for providing IELTS/TOEFL/GRE/GMAT certificates was April 30, 2019.
Applicants applying to the Program are expected to have:
- First or upper-class second honours Bachelor`s degree (or equivalent: Cum Laude; Magna Cum Laude; and Summa Cum Laude) or a Master’s degree in a cognate discipline. During the application period, final year students may submit an official current transcript for consideration;
- At least 3 (three) years of relevant work experience. Based on GSPP’s Admissions Committee discretion, applicants with work experience less than 3 (three) years may also be considered if the applicant can demonstrate high academic performance as decided by the Admissions Committee;
- High level of English proficiency
The absolute minimum requirement for English language proficiency test reports for admission to the Program is:
- Overall IELTS test score of 6.5 (with sub-scores no less than 6.0) or the equivalent TOEFL score as posted on the ETS website;
- Applicants, at the discretion of the Admissions Committee, can be exempted from submitting the language proficiency test report if:
- one of their earlier academic degrees was earned in a country with English as the language of official communication, academic instruction and daily life;
- an undergraduate and/or graduate degree was earned in a program which was officially taught in English.
- Strong reading, analytical, and mathematical skills as demonstrated by GRE/GMAT test (maybe submitted);
- High motivation and strong interest in the Program as outlined in a cover letter;
- Relevant research interest and knowledge of research subject as demonstrated in a written research proposal;
Application package checklist:
- Complete Application form;
- National ID (for the citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan) and passport (for international applicants);
- Official document confirming name change (if applicable);
- Degree diplomas (Bachelor’s and Master’s or equivalents) with transcripts. During the application period, final year students may upload the official current transcript for consideration.
- IELTS or TOEFL certificate valid as of the date of online documents submission;
- Document confirming English as the language of instruction (only for applicants who earned their degree in a program which was taught in English and request an exemption from submitting IELTS or TOEFL).Applicants should provide a detailed certificate/reference from the university indicating the number and list of subjects completed in English.
- Documented proof of work experience (if applicable);
- GRE/GMAT certificate valid as of the date of online documents submission (if any);
- Cover letter explaining the motivation to enrol in the Program;
- Two confidential letters of recommendation (to be provided by referees electronically or in hard copy after receiving an email request);
- Preliminary research proposal (2000 words).
- All required documents indicated above (excluding letters of recommendation) must be uploaded by candidates to the Personal account before the indicated deadline.
- All submitted documents shall be in English or with notarized English translation.
- Submission of a complete application package does not guarantee admission to the Program.
- Applicants recommended for admission must provide hard copies of all documents as requested by the Admissions Department within an established period of time.
- Applicants who obtained their degree diplomas/certificates from foreign education institutions must request their official transcripts to be sent directly to the University: 010000, Astana, Kabanbay Batyr Ave., 53, Nazarbayev University, Admissions Department.
- Standardized test reports shall be sent by the official test administrator directly to the University.
Nazarbayev University Institutional Codes:
- GRE – 6496
- TOEFL – 6762
- GMAT – H6m-R7-93