Graduate School of Education
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS TO THE «DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY IN EDUCATION» PROGRAM
The online registration period:
Early admission: from November 4, 2019, until February 16, 2020 (inclusive). The online registration is free of charge.
Regular admission: from February 17, 2020 until May 12, 2020 (inclusive). You need to make a payment to submit your application. The amount of the application fee depends on the program.
Applicants applying to the Program are expected to have:
1. An undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent);
2. A Master’s degree or equivalent
During the application period final year students may submit official current transcript for consideration.
3. A competitive CGPA in applicant’s Master’s (or equivalent) degree.
4. High level of English proficiency
The absolute minimum requirement for English language proficiency test reports for admission to the Program is:
1) Overall IELTS test score of 7.0 (with sub-scores no less than 6.0) or the equivalent TOEFL score as posted on the ETS website;
2) Applicants, at the discretion of the Admissions Committee, can be exempted from submitting the language proficiency test report if:
– one of their earlier academic degrees was earned in a country with English as the language of official communication, academic instruction and daily life;
– an undergraduate and/or graduate degree was earned in a program which was officially taught in English.
5. 2 years of work experience in a relevant field.
At the discretion of the Admissions Committee applicants with less than 2 years of work experience may also be considered.
6. Strong reading, analytical, and mathematical skills as demonstrated by GRE test (recommended);
7. High motivation and strong interest in the Program as outlined in a personal statement;
8. Relevant research interest and knowledge of research subject as demonstrated in a written research proposal;
9. Three letters of recommendation.
Application package checklist:
1. Complete Application form;
2. National ID (for the citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan) and passport (for international applicants);
3. Official document confirming name change (if applicable);
4. Degree diplomas (Bachelor’s and Master’s or equivalents) with transcripts;
During the application period final year students may upload official current transcript for consideration.
5. IELTS or TOEFL certificate valid as of date of online documents submission;
6. Document confirming English as the language of instruction (only for applicants who earned their degree in a program which was taught in English and request an exemption from submitting IELTS or TOEFL).
Applicants should provide a detailed certificate/reference from the university indicating the number and list of subjects completed in English.
7. Documented proof of work experience (if applicable);
8. GRE certificate valid as of date of online documents submission (recommended);
9. Personal statement outlining the applicant’s prior educational career, statement of his/her interest in the Program, his/her long-term career goals, and how the program would help him/her to achieve these goals (300-500 words);
10. Three confidential letters of recommendation written within the last two years (to be provided by referees electronically or in hard copy after receiving an email request);
11. Research proposal outlining the research topic the applicant would like to pursue in the Program (1500-2000 words);
12. Consent for Applicant’s personal data processing (according to the template in applicant’s personal account).
All required documents indicated above (excluding letters of recommendation) must be uploaded by candidates to the Personal account before the indicated deadline.
All submitted documents shall be in English or with notarized English translation.
Submission of a complete application package does not guarantee admission to the Program.
Applicants recommended for admission must provide hard copies of all documents as requested by the Admissions Department within established period of time.
Applicants who obtained their degree diplomas/certificates from foreign education institutions must request their official transcripts to be sent directly to the University: 010000, Astana, Kabanbay Batyr Ave., 53, Nazarbayev University, Admissions Department.
Standardized test reports shall be sent by the official test administrator directly to the University.
Nazarbayev University Institutional Codes:
• GRE – 6496
• TOEFL – 6762