Master of Science in Biological Sciences and Technologies
MBST Program is designed for graduates from biological sciences, biochemistry, and cellular and molecular biology programs. The two-year MBST degree program offered at NU SSH is based on highest international standards and the unique research infrastructure of Nazarbayev University. This program serves the needs of students with a strong undergraduate biology background with an interest in fundamental research, biomedical sciences, and synthetic biology.
MBST provides distinctive training in quantitative biology and modern research methods. Students are taught advanced statistics and bioinformatics, molecular and structural biology of the normal and pathological cell, advanced microbiology, neurobiology, cellular biophysics, biophysical methods, synthetic biology, and beyond. They perform a research thesis supported by our leading research scientists.
Our students have access to the exclusive research infrastructure of Nazarbayev University, including next-generation sequencing, high-throughput and super-resolution microscopy, atomic force microscopy, TEM and scanning electron microscopy, state-of-the-art flow cytometry, imaging flow cytometry, etc.
The primary goals of the MBST program are:
- To give students a solid foundation in quantitative cellular and molecular biology to better understand how a new revolution happens in biological sciences in treating numerous diseases, including cancer and neurodegenerative diseases, and understanding the biological foundations of living systems;
- To provide students with comprehensive tools and mentored research on important issues in life sciences and experimental quantitative biology depending on their inclinations. This will entail working with leading Nazarbayev University faculties and will culminate in a Master's thesis;
- To raise a new generation of professionals capable of contributing to Kazakhstan's technological innovation and growth.
Campus: Astana, Kazakhstan
Delivery mode: Full time, on-campus
Duration: 2 years
Total ECTS credit: 120
- BIOL 520 – Statistical Methods in Life Sciences Research
- BIOL 550 – Structural and Molecular Biology in Health and Disease
- BIOL 560 – Molecular Biology of the Prokaryotic Cells
- BIOL 592 – Research Seminar
- BIOL 599 – Master’s Thesis Research
- WCS 501 – Science Communication
- BIOL 570 – Advanced Biotechnology / BIOL 580 – Applied Bioinformatics / BIOL 591 – Cellular Biophysics
- BIOL 590 – Research Analysis in Life Sciences
- BIOL 502 – Research Methods
- BIOL 599 - Master’s Thesis Research
- BIOL 691 – Master’s Thesis Proposal
- BIOL 692 - Thesis
After completing the MBST program, students will be eligible to enter a Ph.D. program either in Kazakhstan or abroad or become employed in the local or international industry:
- Work – Readily find job opportunities in universities, pharmaceutical, biotechnological, or agricultural companies; hospitals, research institutions, vocational schools, governmental and non-profit organizations.
- Further Education – Oftentimes, the objective of most of our graduates is a doctorate. The doctoral degree in NU takes a minimum of three years to complete. Our alumni are accepted by leading graduate schools and employed by universities worldwide for example Harvard Medical School, University of Heidelberg, and University of British Columbia; KAUST.